You will need:
Two mixing bowls
A spatula (see the one I used here)
Stencil of a spider web
Line a muffin tray with 12 cases and pre-heat oven to 180 degrees/Gas mark 4.
1.In a mixing bowl sift cocoa powder and combine with the flour, caster sugar and baking powder.
2.Whisk together the eggs, oil and water.
3. Using a spatula beat the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until you have a smooth batter.
4. Divide your mixture evenly amongst the cupcake cases.
5. Bake for around 16 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool.
6.Make the butter icing by sifting the cocoa powder into the icing sugar, add butter and cream together until glossy.
Now for the fun part, as you can see I had a little helper who thought it was much more fun to ‘help’ by trying to eat all the decorations! To make my cupcakes look like spiders I used two chocolate buttons for eyes and on top of each of those I put a mini green meringue. I covered them with two different types of chocolate sprinkles and made the legs from matchmakers that I’d snapped in half and pushed inside the cakes.
For the chocolate spider webs, I printed a spider web picture to use for a stencil.
7. I slid my stencil underneath the baking paper and used a piping bag to pipe melted white chocolate over the lines. I then put the baking paper in the freezer to set the chocolate.
8. Once set, peel away from the baking paper and prop them up around your cupcakes.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and give it a try for yourself. Have a Happy Halloween!