Preheat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas mark 4 and butter a baking dish.
1. Slice and butter the bread.
2. Arrange a layer at the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the currants. Repeat this step until all the slices of bread and currants have been used.
3. In a separate bowl cream together the eggs with the sugar until pale yellow, then add the milk, double cream and lemon zest.
4. Pour the mix over the bread ensuring all of the bread is covered.
5. Sprinkle with nutmeg and brown sugar and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
6. Serve with vanilla custard and enjoy!